Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Mario - a film review

Just watched Mario, a film made primarily in Switzerland. Didn't know the Swiss made movies.

It's been out a while. I believe it has made the rounds at gay film festivals. Which is appropriate, since it's the story of two star soccer players who fall in love and have to contend with the fact that their world will not permit them to be themselves and continue to expect a future as professional soccer players.

So yes, it's a "gay" movie. But to call it that is to be distracted by the obvious while missing the bigger, more consequential story. It's the story of two young men, one of whom believes he has no real choice but to live a lie, and the other who recognizes that he can't and goes on from there. A story about prioritizing, and about whether to put social recognition, money and fame ahead of authenticity. About the choice between short-term gain and long-term satisfaction. And about a kid who makes a youthful mistake that he will likely come to regret for the rest of his life.

Mario raises the question: why do people tell stories about heartbreak? Because we all need to feel pain at times? Because we like having our dark view of the world confirmed? The filmmaker's name is Marcel Gisler, and I see from his Wikipedia page that he has been making films since 1985 - I believe this is his seventh - and with considerable success. I have to admit I think this one is well done as a work of art. It's a bit slow-moving for my tastes, and about a half hour too long. But that says more about me than it does about the film or the filmmaker, and I expect the 100% rating Rotten Tomatoes gives it accurately reflects the probability that most people are willing to overlook those limitations - if that's what they are.

The lead actors are immensely appealing. I fell in love with both of them almost instantly. I also found the portrayal of their youthful confusion and of the environment they had to function in entirely believable. Switzerland is culturally more conservative than much of Western Europe, certainly when contrasted with Holland or Scandinavia, so the homophobia portrayed in the year 2018, when most modern countries are leaving it behind, also rings true. At least it comes as no surprise. So kudos on the reality front.

I've tried, probably not hard enough, not to give too many spoilers. I have not revealed how the story ends, exactly, but I'm afraid I've given away too much.  If so, shame on me. It's not what I would call a must-see. I admit part of its appeal is watching how Swiss-German speakers move up and down the scale between standard German and their local dialects, and that is of little to no interest to most people. But that bias aside, I believe it's very much worth watching. I leave it to you to decide which is its greatest draw - the Alps in the distance when you're sitting in the stands and gazing out over the playing field. Or the drop-dead gorgeous twenty-five-year-old actor, Aaron Altaras.

Available on Amazon Prime



photo credit




No comments: