Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Kerson Leong

Kerson Leong
Don't know if this is a trend, or just a nice coincidence, but I love the idea of Canada - what's not to love about Canada? - being a place where Asian families can immigrate to and produce brilliant young musicians. I know, I know.  One sweetly twittering birdie does not a springtime make. Or two, for that matter. But after going off the deep end over Montreal Canadian Bruce Xiaoyu Liu at the Chopin Competition this month, I am now grooving over another Chinese Canadian - this one from Ottawa, I believe, also really easy on the eyes, whose mode of seduction is the violin.

His name is Kerson Leong. For a little background, click here.

Here he is playing Zigeunerweisen, that honey-on-sugar-cubes overschmalzed Hungarian tune erroneously attributed to Gypsies by the Spanish composer, Pablo de Sarasate, back in the 1870s. Everybody knows the tune. It's an oh-so-Hungarian (think Liszt's Rhapsodies) romanticizing of the Gypsy Life (Zigeunerleben), the German analogue to Stephen Foster's Old Kentucky Home where "tis summer and the darkies are gay."  Today Zigeuner is a word effectively banned as insensitive in modern-day German. The traditional "Gypsy Sauce" is going the way of Aunt Jemima and Eskimo Pies and being replaced by "Paprika Sauce."  

But I digress. Here's Kerson playing "Gypsy Airs," using the "traditional" word (Zigeuner) for gypsy.

And it's a toss-up which part of the whole I love most. The beautiful young face, the music, the patent leather shoes, the virtuosity at the violin...

I guess I'd have to say the shirt.

I've got to get that shirt to wear at weddings and parties.

Once again, Zigeunerweisen. Click and swoon.




photo credit

No comments: